- Carbon 65 Edition available on 3LT trim. Limited to only 650 vehicles (including
- Carbon 65 Edition on Z06 3LZ trim), each with a unique vehicle identification number. Distinctive package blends visible carbon fiber exterior elements including new carbon fiber spoiler and rear quarter intakes with new Ceramic Matrix Gray exterior colour and unique interior appointments, including a carbon fiber-rimmed steering wheel and more
- Ceramic brakes offered as stand-alone option, without the Z07 Performance Package
- Satin black centre stripe available with the Heritage Package
- Revised interior colour breakup on 2LT trim includes instrument panel colour
- HD digital radio standard
- Available Performance Data Recorder/Cosworth Toolbox offers four additional data channels: individual wheel speeds, individual suspension displacements, yaw rate and intake and ambient air temperatures
- Improved rear-view camera image
- Enhanced Head-Up Display rotation setting
- Ceramic Matrix Gray replaces Sterling Blue in the exterior colour palette
- Spice Red convertible top
- Spice Red interior offered on 3LT and 3LZ trims
- Jet Black sueded-wrapped interior includes carbon rim steering wheel and gloss carbon fiber interior trim
- New interior colour stitching packages (red/yellow/new blue) offered on 3LT and 3LZ trims
- Offered in 1LT, 2LT and 3LT trims
- Unique exterior elements include specific front fender inserts and Z06-style grille, as well as wider fenders and rear quarter panels to accommodate a wider track
- Specific Grand Sport cup wheel design: 19x10 inches (front) and 20x12 inches (rear), offered in five appearance finishes
- Front splitter, rockers and wicker bill rear spoiler (carbon fiber ground effects available)
- Functional brake ducts and enhanced cooling package
- Standard Brembo brake system with 14.6-inch (370 mm) rotors and six-piston calipers in front and 14.4-inch (365 mm) rotors and four-piston calipers in the rear
- Standard magnetic ride control, specific stabilizer bars and unique springs
- Standard electronic limited-slip differential
- LT1 V-8 engine rated at 460 hp, (343 kW) with dry-sump oiling system and active exhaust
- The available Z07 package adds larger carbon ceramic-matrix brake rotors in addition to the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tyres
- Five-position Drive Mode Selector that tailors 12 vehicle attributes to fit the driver’s environment
- Interior that offers genuine carbon fiber and aluminium trim, hand-wrapped leather materials and dual eight-inch configurable, colour driver/infotainment screens
- Chevrolet MyLink with 8-inch-diagonal colour touchscreen
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone projection capability
- Available red safety belts
- Four standard air bags, including side-impact air bags
- Four-wheel disc brakes with four-channel ABS
- Active Handling with electronic stability control
- Safety belt pretensioners
- Standard rear-vision camera and available front curb-view cameras
- Tyre pressure monitoring with run-flat tyres
CARBON 65 EDITION
Chevrolet is commemorating the 65th anniversary of the Corvette with the Corvette Carbon 65 Edition offered on 2018 Grand Sport 3LT and Z06 3LZ models.
Limited to only 650 numbered vehicles globally, the distinctive Carbon 65 blends visible carbon-fiber exterior elements — notably, a new carbon-fiber rear spoiler and quarter ducts — with a new Ceramic Matrix Gray exterior colour and special interior appointments, including a new carbon-fiber-rimmed steering wheel.
The Carbon 65 Edition package (order code Z30) will include:
- Available on Grand Sport 3LT and Z06 3LZ trims
- Ceramic Matrix Gray exterior (blue top on Convertibles)
- Unique fender stripes and door graphics
- Black wheels with machined grooves paired with summer-only tires* (Cup-style wheels for Grand Sport and Blade-style wheels for Z06)
- Blue brake calipers
- Visible carbon-fiber ground effects, hood section and roof (Coupe models) or tonneau inserts (Convertible models)
- New visible carbon-fiber spoiler (all models) and quarter intake ducts (Coupe)
- Center caps with Carbon logo
- Carbon Flash badges and outside mirrors
- Jet Black suede-wrapped interior with blue stitching
- Carbon-fiber steering wheel rim and gloss carbon-fiber interior trim
- Competition Sport seats
- Carbon 65 Edition sill plates
Corvette Stingray design
Corvette Stingray’s provocative exterior styling is as functional as it is elegant. It makes a bold design statement that embraces the advanced technology of the car, while enhancing its overall performance in everything from the wind tunnel to the track.
Lighting is a signature element of the Corvette Stingray’s design and reinforces its high-tech aesthetic. At the front, indirect white LED lamps form a distinctive daytime styling cue. They are set in black-chrome lamp housings with standard HID projector headlamps. The turn signals feature edge-lit amber LED lighting.
The dual-element taillamps feature three-dimensional, sculpted lenses housing innovative indirect LED lighting. The state-of-the-art lighting uses hidden LED lamps that cast their light up from the bottom of the housing into a reverse reflector, creating an even glow. LED lamps are also used for the white backup lamps. The taillamps integrate functional aircraft-style air outlets for the available differential and transmission coolers.
The Corvette Stingray convertible features a fully electronic top that can be lowered remotely using the key fob. The top can also be opened or closed on the go, at speeds of up to 30 mph (50 km/h). Its folding mechanism is all-new and enables the top to be lowered in 21 seconds.
With the top up, the convertible is designed for a refined driving experience. A thick fabric top, along with sound-absorbing padding and a glass rear window, contributes to a quiet cabin and premium appearance.
With the top down, the Corvette Stingray’s signature profile is further accentuated. Behind the seat backs, dual black trim panels enhance the character lines of the tonneau cover. Corvette Stingray’s signature “waterfall” design originates in the valley between the seats, bringing the exterior color into the interior.
All Corvette Stingray models with the Z51 Performance Package feature integral coolers for the rear differential and transmission (the transmission cooler is also included with the optional automatic transmission). For coupe models, the air intakes are integrated on the rear quarter panels; and on convertible models, the air intakes are integrated into the underbody.
Airflow through the differential and transmission heat exchangers exits through the aircraft-inspired taillamp vents and lower-rear fascia air outlets. The Z51 Performance Package also includes brake-cooling ducts, a unique rear spoiler and additional air deflectors for enhanced track capability.
Additional exterior features include:
- Heated outside mirrors are standard on all trim levels and a driver’s auto-dimming outside mirror is standard on 2LT and 3LT trims
- Removable carbon fiber roof panel (body color) is standard on all coupes; a transparent roof panel is available
- Visible carbon fiber roof panel is available on 2LT and 3LT
- Dual roof packages including solid and transparent removable roof panels are available on 2LT and 3LT coupes; solid roof offered in body color or carbon fiber
- Exterior badges offered in available Carbon Flash (chrome is standard)
- Stinger-type and dual racing stripe packages are offered in several colors
- 18 x 8.5-inch front and 19 x 10-inch rear wheels are standard on Corvette Stingray. Silver-painted aluminum is standard; chrome, black (new for 2015) and machined black (new for 2015) finishes available
- 19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 10-inch rear wheels are standard with the Z51 Performance Package. Silver-painted aluminum is standard; black machined aluminum (new for 2015), chrome and black finishes available
- Available ZF1 package enables Z51 wheels and rear spoiler without the Z51 Performance Package.
Exterior colors: Laguna Blue Tintcoat, Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat, Arctic White, Blade Silver Metallic, Black, Shark Gray Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Torch Red and Night Race Blue Metallic.
Engineered to race, built for the road
Corvette Stingray coupe and convertible take advantage of lightweight materials, advanced manufacturing techniques and technology transfer from the Corvette Racing program to produce an ideal 50/50 weight balance and to deliver world-class power-to-weight ratios
The technologically advanced foundation is an aluminum frame structure so strong, no structural reinforcements are needed for the convertible model. The only changes are limited to accommodations for the folding top and repositioned safety belt mounts.
The frame features main rails composed of five customized aluminum segments, including aluminum extrusions at each end, a center main rail section and hollow-cast nodes at the suspension interface points. Each segment’s gauge varies in thickness from 2mm to 11mm, tailored – along with the shape – to optimize the strength requirements for each frame section with minimal weight.
The aluminum frame is manufactured using innovative manufacturing processes at GM’s Bowling Green, Ky., assembly plant. The state-of-the-art facility employs several advanced joining technologies to ensure dimensional accuracy within 0.75 mm.
Each frame features:
- 439 spot-welds using a GM-patented process that uses a unique electrode designed specifically for aluminum
- 188 Flowdrill-machined fasteners, which are installed by a high-speed drill that extrudes the frame material to create a strong, integral collar that is tapped for bolt-on fasteners
- 113 feet of structural adhesives, used in conjunction with welding and fasteners to increase overall frame stiffness
- 37 feet of laser welds, which join frame sections via a precise beam of high energy that minimizes heat beyond the weld area for improved structural accuracy.
The frame’s greater strength and low weight are complemented by chassis elements also designed for low-mass strength, including hollow-cast aluminum front and rear cradles. Innovative use of materials also includes a standard carbon fiber hood on all Corvette Stingray models, and a carbon fiber roof panel on all coupes. In addition, underbody panels are created with carbon-nano composite technology, an advanced blend of traditional composite material and carbon fiber for reduced weight and improved strength. Fenders, doors, rear quarter panels and the rear hatch panel are made with light-density Sheet Molded Compound.
Performance and efficiency
The Corvette Stingray’s 455 horses are generated by the LT1 6.2L Small Block V-8 engine, which also produces 460 lb-ft of torque (624 Nm). Its performance comes from combining advanced technologies such as direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and continuously variable valve timing with an advanced combustion system. Z51-equipped models include a dry-sump oiling system.
The LT1 is backed by a choice of active, 2.75-inch-diameter exhaust systems. The standard system features a pair of butterfly valves that contribute to greater refinement at cruising speeds when the engine is operating in fuel-saving V-4 mode. The available performance variable-mode active exhaust system has two additional valves that open to a lower-restriction path through the mufflers. When open, these valves increase engine performance and produce a more powerful exhaust note – while also raising the engine’s output to 460 horsepower (343 kW) and 465 lb-ft of torque (630 Nm).
The LT1 is offered with an all-new seven-speed manual transmission with Active Rev Matching. It incorporates rev-matching technology for upshifts and downshifts. This driver-selectable feature can be easily engaged or disengaged via paddles on the steering wheel. The seven-speed is used with a new dual-mass flywheel and dual-disc clutch, which deliver greater shift quality and feel through lower inertia. The transmission with the Z51 Performance Package includes specific close-ratio gearing for more aggressive driving.
New for 2015 is an available eight-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission. Designed and built by GM, the new 8L90 transmission delivers world-class shift times that rival the best dual-clutch designs. It is also expected to contribute up to 5-percent greater efficiency, when compared to the previous six-speed automatic. EPA fuel economy test results are pending and will be announced later.
The new eight-speed makes the Corvette Stingray one of the few sports cars to offer a conventional manual transmission and an eight-speed automatic.
More direct, more connected driving feel
The Corvette Stingray’s chassis and suspension are designed to take advantage of the lighter, stiffer structure. Its rigidity allowed engineers to more precisely tune the suspension and steering for a more nimble and responsive driving experience. The components and their calibrations – from the brake size and damper rates to the steering system – are identical between coupes and convertible.
A racing-proven short/long-arm suspension design is used front and rear, with lightweight complementing components that include hollow lower control arms and aluminum rear toe links.
The Corvette Stingray rides on 18 x 8.5-inch front and 19 x 10-inch rear wheels, while models with the Z51 Performance Package roll on 19 x 8.5-inch front and 20 x 10-inch rear forged aluminum wheels – all shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sport run-flat tires developed specifically for the seventh-generation Corvette. As a result, the Corvette Stingray with the Z51 Performance Package is capable of 1.03g in cornering acceleration.
Additional suspension features:
Dampers – includes standard 35mm-piston Bilstein monotube shocks that connect to dual-path aluminum shock mounts that separate the shock rod and shock body load paths. The Z51 Performance Package comes with 45mm-piston Bilstein dampers for more aggressive body control and track capability. Z51 is available with the third-generation Magnetic Ride Control, which features a twin-wire/dual-coil damper system that reacts 40 percent faster than previous generations, enabling improved ride comfort and body control.
Steering – Electric power steering offers variable ratios and variable effort to tailor responsiveness and feel for each driving situation. It also delivers precise control and feedback to the driver, along with great variability of effort for high-performance driving, as well as excellent on-center sensitivity and linearity.
Axle – A smart electronic limited-slip differential (eLSD) is included in the Z51 Performance Package and continuously makes the most of the torque split between the rear wheels. The system features a hydraulically actuated clutch that can infinitely vary clutch engagement and can respond from open to full engagement in tenths of a second. It shifts torque based on a unique algorithm that factors in vehicle speed, steering input and throttle position to improve steering feel, handling balance and traction.
The eLSD is fully integrated with Electronic Stability Control and Performance Traction Management systems. Its calibrations vary among three modes, based on the Drive Mode Selector setting:
- Mode 1 is the default setting for normal driving and emphasizes vehicle stability
- Mode 2 is engaged when electronic stability control is turned off in the Sport or Track modes. This calibration enables more nimble turn-in and traction while accelerating out of a corner
- Mode 3 is automatically selected when Performance Traction Management is engaged. This calibration has the same function as Mode 2, but is fine-tuned to work with Performance Traction Management
Standard Brembo brakes, with four-piston fixed calipers derived from racing, deliver exceptional stopping power on the street or track. System highlights include:
- 12.6-inch (320 mm) front rotors and 13.3-inch (338 mm) rear rotors are standard and have 35 percent more swept area than previous-generation brakes. Consequently stopping distance is improved 9 percent.
- Dual-cast, slotted 13.6-inch (345 mm) front rotors and 13.3-inch (338 mm) slotted rear rotors are included with Z51 Performance Package. They have 6percent more swept area than the previous-generation Grand Sport and are cooled front and rear for improved track capability. Consequently stopping distance is improved 5 percent.
- All brake packages have fixed front and rear calipers are stiffer for more even pad wear, reduced drag and improved modulation.
2018 CORVETTE GRAND SPORT SPECIFICATIONS
Rear: 338mm (13.3")
Rear: 20" x 12"
Convertible: 1235mm (48.6")