The Corvette Z06 is a dual-purpose sports car equally adept at daily driving or weekend excursions on the track. Its racing-inspired powertrain and suspension features, along with an aluminium frame and carbon fibre fenders and floor panels, contribute to a curb weight of only 3,199 pounds (1,451 kg), making it the lightest, best-balanced Corvette model and one of the most svelte supercars on the market.
Z06 capability is enhanced for 2012, with upgrades and new features for the available Z07 performance package, highlighted by new Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tyres. When combined with new-for-2012 Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tyres are expected to help set new benchmarks for Corvette performance. Engineers estimate an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to more than 1.1g, and improved braking distance.
The enhanced Z07 package’s effectiveness was demonstrated with a new lap time of 7:22.7 around Germany’s legendary Nurburgring, making it one of the fastest production cars to circle the famous track.
Corvette Z06 also celebrates Chevrolet’s performance heritage with the 2012 Chevrolet Centennial Edition Corvette, which features a sleek black colour scheme, unique design elements and Corvette’s sports car technology. The special package is inspired by Chevrolet’s racing-bred foundation and is offered on all Corvette models for 2012.
Corvette Z06 for 2012 includes interior improvements shared with all Corvette models, including new seats, a new steering wheel design and a new Bose Premium audio system, plus the following Z06-specific features and options:
- New and revised content for the available Z07 performance package for the Z06, including new Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tyres, lighter-weight Cup wheels, Magnetic Selective Ride Control and full-width rear spoiler
- Available Magnetic Selective Ride Control with Cup wheels, Michelin PS2 tyres and Performance Traction Management
- Available carbon fibre hood
- Fixed-roof body style optimises body rigidity and mass; offered in three trim levels – 1LZ, 2LZ and 3LZ.
- Wide front fascia with a large, forward-facing grille opening, a splitter along the bottom and wheel opening extensions along the sides to provide aerodynamic downforce.
- Cold-air scoop in front of the hood that integrates an air inlet system for the engine.
- Wide carbon fibre front fenders and carbon fibre floor panels.
- Available “CFZ” carbon fibre package, with carbon fibre roof, rocker extensions, front splitter and ZR1-style rear spoiler.
- Wide rear fenders with flares cover the massive rear tyres and a brake cooling scoop in front of the wheels visually balances the fender extractor.
- Tall rear spoiler houses the CHMSL on the top of the rear fascia.
- Ten-spoke spider-design wheels (18-inch front; 19-inch rear).
- Four large stainless steel exhaust outlets.
- Z06 badging on the carbon-fibre front fenders.
- Standard high-intensity discharge headlamps.
- Head-up display is available on 2LZ and 3LZ models and includes Track Mode with g-meter.
- Gauge cluster displays the Z06 logo on a 7,000-rpm tachometer and includes a readout on the oil pressure instrument to reflect the higher standard pressure of the Z06’s dry-sump oiling system.
- A custom leather-wrapped interior package is standard on the 3LZ trim, featuring a leather-wrapped upper and lower instrument panel, door pads and seats; choice of exclusive colours: Dark Titanium, Ebony or Cashmere, with unique colour breakup; padded door panel armrests; “Corvette” embroidered on passenger-side dash pad and a unique centre trim plate with a gunmetal pattern.
Corvette Z06 Performance
The Z06's LS7 7.0L (427 cubic inches) engine is rated at 505 horsepower (377 kW) and features a forged steel crankshaft, racing-derived high-flow cylinder heads with lightweight titanium intake valves and titanium connecting rods. The racing-style dry-sump oiling system ensures adequate oil pressure during high-load cornering.
The LS7 is hand-assembled at GM’s Performance Build centre in Wixom, Mich., and incorporates special processes typically seen in racing engines to produce a highly refined and precise product. Lightweight, four-into-one exhaust headers discharge into close-coupled catalytic converters. The two-mode mufflers feature a vacuum-actuated outlet valves, which control exhaust noise during low-load operation but open for maximum power.
A six-speed manual transmission – automatic not available – is strengthened for the LS7’s torque and incorporates a pump that sends transmission fluid to the front radiator for cooling. Upon its return, the fluid removes additional heat from the differential lube before returning to the transmission. A single-mass flywheel and lightweight, high-capacity clutch channel torque to the rear transaxle, featuring a limited-slip differential, with enlarged ring and pinion gears. Stronger axle half-shafts with stronger universal joints transmit power to the rear wheels.
0-60mph performance of 3.7 seconds in first gear, quarter-mile times of 11.7 seconds at 125 mph and a top speed of 198 mph.
Corvette Z06 Chassis & Suspension
An aluminium body structure for optimum stiffness and light weight for the fixed-roof body style. Perimeter rails are one-piece hydroformed aluminium members featuring cast suspension nodes, which replace many welded steel components on other Corvette models. Advanced structural composites featuring carbon fibre are bonded to the aluminium structure. The wider front wheelhouses, for example, are carbon composites, and the passenger compartment floors combine carbon-fibre skins with an ultra-lightweight balsa wood core.
A magnesium cradle that serves as the attachment point for the engine and some front suspension components. It is lighter than aluminium, yet incredibly strong, and helps improve the front-to-rear weight distribution, as do carbon-fibre front fenders and wheelhouses. The battery is relocated from underhood to a position in the rear cargo area, behind one of the rear wheels.
Z06-specific wheels, tyres and brakes, as well as rear spring and roll stabiliser. Large 18 x 9.5-inch cast-spun aluminium wheels and 275/35ZR18 tyres in the front, and 19 x 12-inch cast-spun aluminium wheels with 325/30ZR19 tyres in the rear. Goodyear F1 Supercar Gen 2 tyres are standard.
The four-wheel disc brake system, consisting of 14-inch (355 mm) vented and cross-drilled front rotors and 13.4-inch (340 mm) vented and cross-drilled rear rotors. Red-painted six-piston front calipers that use six individual brake pads. Individual brake pads are used because they deliver more equalised wear compared to what would otherwise be a pair of very long single-piece pads. Rear brakes use four-piston calipers with four individual brake pads. A four-channel ABS system is standard, as is a very competent Active Handling system – complete with a Competitive Driving mode.
Corvette Z07 Performance Package
- New Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tyres, developed by the same Michelin engineers who develop tyres for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series. They are essentially street-legal versions of a racing tyre.
- The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tyres are matched with all-new aluminium Cup-style wheels in satin black or machined finishes. They are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the ZR1 20-spoke wheel offered in 2011.
- A new, full-width racing style spoiler for improved aerodynamics.
- Enhanced cooling.
- Magnetic Selective Ride Control.
- Brembo carbon ceramic brakes.
2012 CORVETTE SPECIFICATIONS
325kw (436hp) @ 5900rpm (opt. exhaust)
580nm (428lb-ft) @ 4600rpm (opt. exhaust)
(Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport, Z06)
(with optional Z51 Performance Package)
(Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport)
(Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport)
Front: 325mm (12.8") x 32mm (1.26")
Rear: 305mm (12.0") x 26mm (1.0")
Z51 Performance Package:
Front: 340mm (13.4") x 32mm (1.26")
Rear: 330mm (13.0") x 26mm (1.0")
Rear: 340mm (13.4") x 26mm (1.0")
Rear: 19" x 10"
Front: 18" x 9.5"
Rear: 19" x 12"
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar
Rear: 19" x 12"
Convertible: 1451kg (3199lb)