New for 2013
- 60th Anniversary Design Package
- Available black-painted spider-design aluminium wheels
- ZR1-style rear spoiler is available
- Exterior colours: return of Black and new Night Race Blue Metallic
Corvette Z06 races into 2013 with an available 60th Anniversary Design Package to commemorate the Corvette’s six-decade milestone. It is also the final year for the current “C6” generation of the car.
The Corvette Z06 is a dual-purpose sports car equally adept at daily driving or weekend excursions on the track. Its racing-inspired powertrain and suspension features, along with an aluminium frame and carbon fibre fenders and floor panels, contribute to a curb weight of only 3,199 pounds / 1,451 kg (dry weight of 3,041 pounds / 1,379 kg), making it the lightest, best-balanced Corvette model and one of the most svelte supercars on the market.
The 505-horsepower (377 kW) LS7 engine powers the lightweight Z06, helping deliver 0-60 performance of 3.7 seconds in first gear, quarter-mile times of 11.7 seconds at 125 mph and a top speed of 198 mph. It is assembled by hand at GM’s Performance Build centre, where customers who purchase the Z06 can also purchase the Corvette Build Experience option and assemble the engine that will power their new car.
On-track capability for the Z06 is maximised with the available Z07 performance package, highlighted by Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tyres wrapped around lightweight cup-style wheels. When combined with Performance Traction Management (PTM) technology – which manages torque delivery for maximum performance – the tyres enable up to an 8-percent gain in maximum lateral acceleration, to 1.13g, and improved braking distance.
The CFZ-code Carbon fibre Package gives the Z06 lightweight aero enhancements similar to those found on the ZR1. Included in the optional package is a black-painted carbon fibre front splitter, rockers, roof panel and a body-colour full-width rear spoiler. A raised-centre carbon fibre hood is available, as well.
Corvette Z06 is offered in 1LZ, 2LZ and 3LZ trim packages. The 60th Anniversary Design Package is available with the 3LZ trim and the content includes:
- Arctic White exterior
- Twilight Blue custom leather-wrapped interior with blue accent stitching
- Embossed and embroidered 60th Anniversary logos and a special steering wheel badge
- Suede accents on the steering wheel, shifter, parking brake handle, armrests and door panels
- Special wheel centre caps with the 60th Anniversary logo
- Gray-painted brake calipers
- Available Silver Blue Pearl stripe graphics.
Also new for 2013 are optional black-painted spider-style aluminium wheels and a pair of new exterior colours: Black and Night Race Blue Metallic. A ZR1-style full-width rear spoiler is available for models without the Z07 performance package, which already includes a full-width racing spoiler.
All 2013 Corvettes feature 60th Anniversary badges on the fascias, as well as 60th logos in the instrument panel gauge cluster and on the sill plates.
Corvette Z06 design and exterior features
The Corvette Z06 has an aggressive design, with a wide-body and hunkered-down stance that is as functional as it is attractive. A fixed-roof body style optimises body rigidity and mass.
A wide front fascia with a large, forward-facing grille opening, a splitter along the bottom and wheel opening extensions along the sides provide aerodynamic downforce, while a cold-air scoop in front of the hood integrates an air inlet system for the engine. The trailing edge of the front wheel opening is radiused to achieve improved drag, but protects the body finish with a tough moulding, and a large air extractor is behind the wheel. At the rear, wide flared fenders cover the massive rear tyres and a brake cooling scoop in front of the wheels visually balances the fender extractor.
The aerodynamics of the Z06’s exterior were shaped by the experiences of the Corvette racing program, where high-speed stability and cornering capability are paramount. While the race cars use large rear wings, the Z06’s elevated spoiler provides sufficient downforce to balance the road-worthy front splitter without adversely affecting aerodynamic drag.
Additional exterior features include:
- Ten-spoke spider-design wheels (18-inch front; 19-inch rear), including new black spider-design wheels for 2013
- Machined Cup wheels with gray pockets are available with Magnetic Ride Control
- Four large stainless steel exhaust outlets
- Z06 badging on the carbon-fibre front fenders
- Contrasting headlamp housing colours are available in Blade Silver Metallic, Cyber Gray Metallic and Black
- Standard high-intensity discharge headlamps
- Customer-selectable brake caliper colours offered in yellow, silver and gray. Red calipers are standard.
Exterior colours include Arctic White, Blade Silver Metallic, Inferno Orange Metallic, Velocity Yellow Tintcoat, Torch Red , Supersonic Blue Metallic, Cyber Gray, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Black and Night Race Blue Metallic.
Corvette Z06 interior
Corvette’s interior is inspired by the car’s dual-cockpit heritage. Seats that were introduced in 2012 deliver improved appearance and larger bolsters on the seat back and cushion areas to provide better driver support, especially in high-performance driving. Microfibre seat inserts are included with the leather-wrapped interior (3LZ).
Additional features include:
- Sport steering wheel with leather-wrapped spokes and audio controls
- Standard head-up display, including Track Mode with g-meter
- An AM/FM/XM radio with CD player and audio input jack is standard
- A Bose Premium audio system includes nine speakers, with tweeters located in the instrument panel, and Bose Nd next-generation bass performance is standard on 2LZ and 3LZ
- An onboard navigation system with voice recognition is included with 2LZ and 3LZ. It features a 6.5-inch (165 mm) colour touch-screen display.
- A custom leather-wrapped interior package is standard on the 3LZ trim, featuring a leather-wrapped upper and lower instrument panel, door pads and seats; choice of exclusive colours: Dark Titanium, Ebony or Cashmere, with unique colour breakup; padded door panel armrests; “Corvette” embroidered on passenger-side dash pad and a unique centre trim plate with a gunmetal pattern.
Corvette Z06 performance
Corvette Z06 is propelled by the LS7 7.0L (427 cubic inches) engine that delivers 505 horsepower (377 kW). Unique features include a racing-style dry-sump oiling system that helps ensure adequate oil pressure during high-load cornering. The engine also features a durable forged-steel crankshaft, titanium connecting rods, racing-derived high-flow cylinder heads with titanium intake valves and lightweight four-into-one headers.
The high-flow exhaust headers discharge into close-coupled catalytic converters and through two-mode mufflers. The mufflers each feature a vacuum-actuated outlet valve, which controls exhaust noise during low-load operation but opens for maximum power.
At the rear of the LS7 engine, a single-mass flywheel and lightweight, high-capacity clutch channel torque to the rear transaxle. The six-speed manual six-speed is strengthened to handle the LS7’s substantial torque load. It also incorporates a pump that sends transmission fluid to the front radiator for cooling. Upon its return, the fluid removes additional heat from the differential coolant before returning to the transmission.
The six-speed transmission connects to a limited-slip differential, with enlarged ring and pinion gears. Stronger axle half-shafts with tougher universal joints transmit power to the rear wheels.
Corvette Z06 chassis and suspension
The Z06 has an aluminium body structure for optimal stiffness and lower mass for the fixed-roof body style. Perimeter rails are one-piece hydroformed aluminium members featuring cast suspension nodes, which replace many welded steel components on other Corvette models. Advanced structural composites featuring carbon-fibre are bonded to the aluminium structure. The wider front wheelhouses, for example, are carbon composites, and the passenger compartment floors combine carbon-fibre skins with an ultra-lightweight balsa wood core.
The Z06 has a magnesium cradle that serves as the attachment point for the engine and some front suspension components. Magnesium is lighter than aluminium, yet incredibly strong. The magnesium cradle helps improve the front-to-rear weight distribution, as do carbon-fibre front fenders and wheelhouses. The battery is housed in the rear cargo area, behind one of the rear wheels, again for optimal weigh balance.
The Z06 retains the 105.7-inch (2,686-mm) wheelbase of other Corvette models, as well as the short-long arm suspension and transverse spring design, but it rides on specific wheels, tyres and brakes, as well as its own rear spring and roll stabiliser. It’s a firmer suspension that works harmoniously with large 18 x 9.5-inch cast-spun aluminium wheels and 275/35ZR18 tyres in the front, and 19 x 12-inch cast-spun aluminium wheels with 325/30ZR19 tyres in the rear. Goodyear F1 Supercar Gen 2 tyres are standard.
Complementing the suspension system and large rolling stock is an equally capable four-wheel disc brake system, consisting of 14-inch (355 mm) vented and cross-drilled front rotors and 13.4-inch (340 mm) vented and cross-drilled rear rotors.
The front rotors are acted upon by large, red six-piston calipers that use six individual brake pads. Individual brake pads are used because they deliver more equalised wear compared to what would otherwise be a pair of very long single-piece pads. The rear brakes use four-piston calipers with four individual brake pads. A four-channel ABS system is standard, as is a very competent active handling system – complete with a Competitive Driving mode.
Z07 Performance Package content
The Z07 Performance Package features Michelin® Pilot® Sport Cup Zero Pressure tyres, developed by the same Michelin engineers who developed tyres for Corvette Racing in the American Le Mans Series and are essentially street-legal versions of a racing tyre. The 285/30-19 (front) and 335/25-20 (rear) tyres are matched with aluminium cup-style wheels. They are about five pounds lighter (2.2 kg) and stronger than the 20-spoke ZR1-style wheel.
The package also includes:
- A full-width racing style spoiler for reduced aerodynamic lift Enhanced cooling
- Magnetic Selective Ride Control with Performance Traction Management
- Brembo carbon ceramic brakes.
Corvette safety and crash-avoidance features
The Corvette is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, while protecting the occupants in the event a crash occurs. A strong body structure is designed to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Additional safety features include:
- Four standard air bags include side-impact air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash
- Active Handling electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with anti-lock
- Pretensioners are standard. They minimise forward movement during a collision, while load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- Tyre pressure monitoring system and run-flat tyres are standard
- Standard keyless access with push-button starting.
2013 CORVETTE SPECIFICATIONS
325kw (436hp) @ 5900rpm (opt. exhaust)
580nm (428lb-ft) @ 4600rpm (opt. exhaust)
(Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport, Z06)
(with optional Z51 Performance Package)
(Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport)
(Coupe, Convertible, Grand Sport)
Front: 325mm (12.8") x 32mm (1.26")
Rear: 305mm (12.0") x 26mm (1.0")
Z51 Performance Package:
Front: 340mm (13.4") x 32mm (1.26")
Rear: 330mm (13.0") x 26mm (1.0")
Rear: 340mm (13.4") x 26mm (1.0")
Rear: 19" x 10"
Front: 18" x 9.5"
Rear: 19" x 12"
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar
Rear: 19" x 12"
Convertible: 1451kg (3199lb)